London, United Kingdom – March 2nd, 2020
CI Plus LLP, the trust authority for the CI Plus security system deployed in over 700 million television
devices, has won a major legal victory against Impex-Sat, a company which sold devices that deliberately
bypassed CI Plus compliance and robustness rules.
This landmark case is the first of its kind by CI Plus LLP and marks the start of a new campaign to protect
the integrity of the CI Plus ecosystem.
The LLP has obtained an Order against Impex-Sat at the High Court in London, which includes provisions
that have the effect of requiring Impex-Sat to:
- Immediately cease all production and distribution of prohibited devices;
- Immediately cease distribution of any software enabling the non-compliant use of CI Plus
- Destroy any prohibited devices in its possession or permanently delete any software from those
devices enabling non-compliant use of CI Plus;
- Update any devices already sold with software that disables the CI Plus functionality, using any
lawful means available;
- Pay damages of €2 million plus CI Plus LLP’s legal costs.
CI Plus LLP became aware of Impex-Sat’s activities through its programme to monitor the CI Plus
ecosystem in co-operation with its partners in the industry. Anti-piracy experts then conducted a
forensic examination of Impex Sat’s products which identified various non-compliances, and this
evidence enabled it to proceed with legal action against Impex-Sat. This monitoring programme is
The CI Plus LLP chairman said “CI Plus LLP is the trust authority for the world’s most widely deployed pay
TV security system, and the industry relies on the LLP to defend CI Plus against threats to its integrity.
This important milestone demonstrates that CI Plus LLP will vigorously enforce its rules, for the benefit
of its licensees, the TV operators that rely on CI Plus for the running of their business, and users who
receive pay TV services using a CI Plus device.”